Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Free Parking at Karimunjawa

29 March

We spent most of yesterday afternoon loading diesel. This is hot messy work despite the elaborate pumping system Ron has devised to make it as easy as possible.
When we left Langkawi, we loaded 2 x 200 litre drums into the cockpit locker and 5 x 55L into 2 forward deck lockers. This gave us an additional 675L on top of the vessels 1500L

When we get diesel other than a marina, the locals fill the 55L drums ashore and bring them out to us in their boats or canoes. We then pump into the main tanks and the 200L cockpit drums.

As a result of not getting a swim that afternoon, we decided to head to an island this morning, get a swim and relax, then leave for Bawean after lunch.
Sailing nicely out the channel when suddenly the boat bounced over some rocks, then suddenly slammed to a halt.

Free parking at Karimunjawa...... high and dry on a coral reef for 3 hours.

Ron and Annie got their swims.... lots..... as they snorkelled around the keels and rudders, making sure we kept the boat at the right angles, away from some big bombers close by. There was a strong current running so we did this by my being in the inflatable, driving against the side of the ship.

Then BINGO! back she went off the reef. Thankfully the tide was coming in when we parked up.

Thankfully also we sustained no structural damage and no damage to hull or props, but the keels are pretty banged up and we lost a short lower piece of one rudder. We were taking on some amount of water (via the keel setup) but not major... the pumps were coping.
Still, we decided to effect some temporary repairs to slow the leaks, before finally departing for Palau Bawean at 1730 for another sail through the night.

I'm thinking we might be getting a few comments below on this post hehe......


Steph McCabe said...

Couldn't believe it when I heard - glad you are all okay and see you soon!

KimmyG said...

You just cant make a quiet entrance?!! Good grief. Thank goodness Im reading older posts and I get to see it all worked out OK in the end. You paint a good picture with how it must have looked with you all trying to keep everything together at the time. LOL

Geoff Harnden said...

Yes, it was really freaky at the time when we hit the reef. I was in my cabin just forward of the keel and the noise was pretty loud.